Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father’s Day Reflections – Touching Shoulders with Emile Roy




Every year, on the third Sunday of June, families across the country join in a common tradition: honouring our dads. Although Father’s Day is celebrated in many countries around the globe in one form or another, it is almost universally credited as having originated in the United States, although it didn’t even become an official US holiday until 1972. Below is a timeline prepared by Ancestry on how the holiday got started in America.


The following excerpts are drawn from the 1994 book Nootsie, The Life of Ernest Emile Roy (1914-1992) written by his son J. Paul-Emile Roy, CA. Additional excerpts are provided in One Man's Journey – Emile Roy (1914-1992), Part One and One Man's Journey – Emile Roy (1914-1992), Part Two.

Locked away in the recesses of the mind are our fondest memories. They may be triggered by an emotional feeling, the sight of a cherished object, a familiar sound, a unique scent or taste, and even a sensuous touch. It’s been said that “each man's life touches many others.” This book is about Emile Roy who not only touched the lives of others but enriched them as well. He was adept at “Touching Shoulders” with all those around him.


The Nootsie book contains 25 stories of times when Emile “touched shoulders” with others. The stories are presented as one-on-one experiences. They are told from the individual perspective of his wife, Angeline, and each of his eight children, as well as by several long-time friends and associates. These stories speak of friendship and fellowship, faith and courage. They recount both teaching and learning experiences. Some are happy, others are sad. Some talk of good fortune while others recall misfortune. But, there are two things they all have in common. First, they are all about life. Second, they cover special times. Because of this, they are worth sharing. After reading the stories, one can only conclude that, for Emile, it was truly a wonderful life! And, each in our own ways, we all gained from “touching shoulders” with him.

Here are some memories of Emile Roy, as told by his oldest son John Roy (1941-2015).

Emile Roy with his son, John, in 1987
Feeling Proud
As the oldest boy in the family, there were many times when I felt that I had to make Pop proud of me. For example, I served as an altar boy from the age of 9 to 23. Actually, I was the only one to serve Mass when St. Dominic’s Parish started in Bronte in the late 1950s. There were also many times when Pop made me feel proud of myself. I think he knew this and when the time was right, he left me alone to learn or to do my own thing. For example, he introduced me to the trucking business and later left me in charge when he worked on a contract out-of-town.

When we worked up North, he once said he was proud to drive my truck and complimented me on the fact that it was the only truck to survive the winter without a breakdown. In Cedar Springs around 1980, I helped him build his house by installing the electrical wiring. He was amazed that I could do the job and, satisfied that it was being done properly, he lay down with his dog, Suzie, on the bundles of insulation that were on the floor and had a siesta. I knew that he depended on me and trusted me. I was proud to help out.

The Times of Life
There are three events in my life that stand out as emotional, one-on-one times with Dad. First, I remember the look on his face when I told him it was time. He asked, “Time for what?” I said, “I found my girl. Can I get married?” He replied, “If you feel you’re ready. It’s up to you.” I felt good about it and said, “Thanks Dad!” Second, I remember the day in June 1965 that Mark [John’s first child] was born. Dad was grinning from ear to ear. He was as proud as I was. I had a son and he had a grandson to carry on his name. It’s too bad he wasn’t here for the birth of his great-grandson, Kyle, late in 1992. Third, I remember one particularly sad time when he looked at me and said, “Gee, it’s a bugger to grow old!” I will never forget him or the positive influence he had on me over his lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment